22 Jan 2010

On a more serious note........

See this spot?





It turns out it is a skin cancer!  I had the spot for a few months, at the top of my thigh, on the front.  When it first appeared I just thought it was a 'spot' and it would heal itself away.  Well, it didn't and so I got to thinking that maybe, just maybe, it might have been something more insidious and so I tackled it head on.  I made an appointment with my GP to take a look at it and perhaps give me a definitive yes or no or a reason for this 'spot'.  The GP couldn't say and so a hospital referral was made for me.






At the hospital, a dermatologist looked at it and again couldn't say definately what it was.  So a biopsy was booked.
This involves removing some, or, all of the spot.  For my appointment, the whole spot was removed under local anaesthetic and 6 stitches inserted into the cut.  The removed area was then taken for a check under the microscope to ascertain whether it was a skin cancer, and, if so, what type, and if all of it had been removed.


At my follow-up the consultant has advised me that it was a skin cancer, but one of the easiest to treat, if caught early.  They have removed all of the cancer cells associated with the spot and that is the end of that one....... BUT..........I asked him to check my shoulders for some 'sun-spots' I wanted looking at and whilst he did that he found ANOTHER spot/area that he was concerned about!! Eeek!  So whilst I was there a biopsy nurse took a tiny 'punch biopsy' from this area and it is being checked as I type this.  Depending on the result it might have to be removed completely or treated with a special cream.

So readers, please be careful out in that beautiful sun.  Wear a high factor suncream - 30 or above, stay in the shade during the hottest parts of the day and please, please, mummies and daddies - don't let your children get burnt by the sun.  Unfortunately my damage is done and I will have to live with it's effects but I can certainly preach about the dangers now,

1 comment:

  1. Hello again, I'm so glad you are back, but very sorry to hear your news. You have done the right thing and hope it will all be sorted out. Take care. Oh yes, I love the socks. I have made two pairs with a very straight forward pattern and some Regia wool. Good on you for doing a 'pattern' pattern if you get my meaning!!!

    ReplyDelete